Sunday, August 12, 2012

From Scratch

Growing up, my family made things from scratch. I'm not sure that I knew that pancake mix existed until middle school or later. I still rarely use mixes, and firmly believe that things taste better from scratch. Fortunately for me, Devin also likes to cook and bake (maybe more than I do, truthfully), so we make some tasty stuff.

For about 3 months of my pregnancy, no one was doing any cooking. I couldn't because the kitchen and I were mortal enemies. Any more than a few seconds in there, and I was gagging. The fridge and I especially did not get along. Devin wasn't cooking much because he was busy with school; and most of the time if he cooked, the smell made me more nauseous. There was lots of microwaved food, salad, and going out to eat so that we both didn't die.

Many months later, we're both able to cook again! This week Devin made chili from scratch (that seriously has about 30 ingredients in it), I made banana bread from scratch, and Devin made Cafe Rio chicken salads from scratch! This latter included homemade flour tortillas, guacamole, pico de gallo, and dressing. And it was his first time attempting any of those things. I am so proud of him :)


In other news, we've started our childbirth classes and are working to prepare for the arrival of our little one. We also went mini golfing (hardest course ever) and enjoyed some Jamba Juice while window shopping. Just trying to enjoy some couple time before we need a baby-sitter :)

30 Weeks 8.7.12

No comments:

Post a Comment