Last Saturday, our landlady forwarded us a notice that the sidewalks, curbs, driveways, and some streets of our subdivision were going to be worked on and/or replaced. On this notice, it said our curb would be replaced this last week (as shown on a highlighted map), but that our driveway and sidewalk would be replaced the last week of the month (as printed on an included work schedule). I assumed that they wouldn't work on our house on 2 separate occasions, so I figured they would come during the printed work schedule week at the end of the month. During the week that they are supposed to work on your area, you are supposed to park your car on a part of the street not being worked on for the whole week: Monday morning through Sunday.
Well Monday through Wednesday of last week they weren't anywhere near our place so we kept using our garage. Thursday morning, Devin gives me a goodbye kiss and heads to our garage. A few minutes later I hear him back in our bedroom saying he can't get out of the garage and we're stuck there. They had removed our gutter and 1/3 of our sidewalk. Shaft.
So Devin missed his class that day and I had to get a ride from our Relief Society President to our Relief Society activity that night. And the next day, Devin got a ride to class and I had to get a ride again to go to an interview I had. By this time, they had laid the new curb and portion of sidewalk and we thought we might be able to get our car out smoothly on Saturday. Not quite.
The stakes that were holding up the form were still there on Saturday; too tall to be driven over and too close together to drive between and too set to be easily moved or driven in further. Dangit. But, we had some friends to hang out with and a BYU game to watch so we improvised. We drove out over the grass. As Devin cleared the curb I heard him say "We're free!" And so we were.
Lesson in this: Never assume anything, especially when it might trap you in your house and mess up your life schedule for 3 days.
2025 Christmas Newsletter
9 months ago

One time the city was repaving the street and blocked our only access to our home. We had to wait down the street for several hours and missed a wedding. We thought they at least could have told us they would be closing the street.
ReplyDelete