Friday, July 23, 2010

The Evergreen State

Western Washington is beautiful. And I'm sorry to all of my Oregon friends, but Washington is prettier. I know, I've lived in both. (I will concede however, that the Oregon Coast may be an exception to this. I have not yet seen the coast of the Peninsula.) It is wonderful to be back by the ocean and amongst all the trees. If we could just make it so it was this pretty without all the cloudiness and the rain, I would be happy to live in this part of the country for the rest of my life.

While here, we have been fortunate enough to enjoy much of Washington's beauty. For Keeley's birthday, she took us all (Karly was here too) on the foot ferry to Friday Harbor, a town on one of the San Juan islands. It was so beautiful! We spent the day wandering shops, eating seafood with our friends the Burley's, enjoying the scenery, and eating ice cream. We even saw a whole bunch of live jellyfish! Then, on the way back, we saw a seal. And because it was sunny and warm, Karly and I sat up on top of the ferry for the last half hour or so of the trip. Gorgeous. We watched a friend of the captain jump the wake of the boat a number of times, and another jet skier try and fall on his first attempt.

We have also been able to go to Boulevard Park, which is on Bellingham Bay, several times and walk the boardwalk and look out at the ocean; then wander over into Fairhaven and eat Gelato and look in funky little shops before wandering back to the Bay. On one occasion, Devin and I were able to see a seal and several birds diving as well as people paddle boarding. I have also seen people crabbing and a live crab wandering around on the ferry pier (I think it was trying to escape being bait for the next group of crabs).

Even when we are not in areas specifically designated for site seeing, the beauty is everywhere. Keeley's home is backed by a forested area and there are trails to walk on and a little duck pond to see (which has no male ducks from what Devin and I observed, odd...). While driving, you can periodically see Mt. Baker in the background and of course trees everywhere. We've visited a berry farm a couple of times and enjoyed fresh produce, purchased some beautiful fresh flowers, and yummy ice cream.

And perhaps what I think is most beautiful about Washington are the people there, who love me and my husband, and who we love so much in return. My own parents may not live there anymore, but I will always have family who loves me there and I can't wait to see them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment