Our first day in Bellingham, I had an opportunity to help out with Relay for Life. I have never done this before, and it was a neat experience. There were booths and music and activities all along the main block of downtown, and people everywhere wearing shirts in support or remembrance of a loved who has or is battling cancer. The relay started with a survivors lap, and it was wonderful to see so many people up there, especially Devin's grandma LeOla. She is one of the sweetest, kindest, most wonderful people in the whole world and I'm glad she's still here with us. After she walked her lap, we went and had dinner at Bob's Burgers & Brew (I had the world's largest salad by the way).
Once we returned we met up with more family. All in all, there was Keeley, LeOla, Devin, myself, cousin Austin, cousin John, John's girlfriend Sam, and their dog Bailey (and Karly was there in spirit). We sat and chatted and waited for the sun to go down.
As the sun set, and the lights were turned off, we lit the luminaries. These are white bags decorated in support or remembrance of a cancer fighter. Inside each bag is sand and a candle. They represent love, trials, and hope for a cure. As we lit these small bags and I looked at the names and pictures on them, I thought of all the people I know who are or who have been affected by cancer. My mom's mom died from breast cancer. Her father had colon cancer. My dad's dad had prostate cancer but was able to beat it. My mom's sister had breast cancer and is in remission. Devin's mom's mom had breast cancer and is in remission. His dad's mom had ovarian cancer and it eventually took her life. His uncle had throat cancer and it took his life. While cancer has affected our lives, and the lives of so many others, it does not define them. And I have hope that, in the future, there will be a cure.
2025 Christmas Newsletter
8 months ago

No comments:
Post a Comment