Monday, February 21, 2011

Hitting the Pavement

Saturday marked the beginning of Devin's week off from school, so we decided to celebrate by doing something fun. We headed into the city to meet up with our friends Emma and Pete at the Field Museum. Sounds fun doesn't it? Well it definitely didn't start out that way...

We woke up early (we're talking like 6:30am early) to make it to the Metra (train) on time. I am so not a morning person. But this wasn't too bad, as it would allow us to have a full day to do things. Around 8:30am we got off the Metra in Chicago. In theory, Devin knew here we were going, as he had looked at a map online the night before. And I typically have an inherent sense of where Lake Michigan is. So, we bought some over priced Dunkin Donuts breakfast sandwiches and started walking. About 10 to 15 minutes later, neither of us were sure we were going the right way and decided to try and figure out. Not to mention, it was FREEZING in the early morning between the skyscrapers. Well, we were lost. Devin didn't know where exactly it was, there are no obviously landmarks to figure out, we weren't sure where a map was, and Devin refused to call anyone. Needless to say I was not happy. I was almost refusing to take another step until we figured out where the heck we were. But it all worked out in the end, as we retraced our steps to the Metra station and found a map on a bus station bench thing. We just had to walk for about 45 minutes, and we made it to the museum.

We enjoyed looking at exhibits on Ancient America, Ancient Egypt, the Arctic Region, and Animals from all over the world. We at lunch at the in house Corner Street Bakery and of course glanced in the gift shops.

Biggest problem of the day were my feet. From all the walking to get to and from the museum, and then walking all around the museum, and wearing the wrong shoes; I ended up with giant blisters and aching tootsies. I had to limp in and out of the grocery store and up into our apartment and ended up with 4 bandaids on my feet. But, Devin did give me a footrub and helped me use my foot bath. Despite having to wear flip flops to Church yesterday and having ridiculously sore lower legs, it was worth it!

Hope you all are enjoying your 3-day weekend! I know Devin is!

Sorry, no pictures! I'll try to do better next time!

1 comment:

  1. I love the Field Museum! I can't wait to take my kids there someday. I saw Sue there forever ago.

    ReplyDelete