Saturday, May 21, 2011

The Smushing

On Tuesday of this week, I was rear-ended. Boo!

I was driving home from work, minding my own business, when I came to a stop. The traffic was moderate to heavy, and the light ahead had just changed. I was mentally being grateful for having enough time and space to make my abrupt stop, and noting that the people behind me were able to as well, when BAM! Our coins and various debris went flying! I flung forward and back in my seat, and my car lurched forward into the car in front of me. What in the world?!

So I parked my car, got out and looked behind me to see what happened. At the same time, the guy in front of me was getting out of his car, and I paused long enough to say "It wasn't me."

What HAD happened was that a Jeep, going I'm not sure how fast, rear-ended the stopped car behind me (a Hyundai), forcing it into my parked car, and finally launching me into the car in front of me (an Acura).

I immediately tried to call Devin, and after about 6 tries he finally answered (he had Kairi and his laptop on top of him and his phone was in the other room). I told him what I knew, what I had noticed after a quick walk-around of our Honda, and told him to stay by the phone.

Meanwhile, the horn from the Hyundai is blaring in the background, I'm being informed the Police have been notified, and we start to hear sirens. I then have the presence of mind to realize that I should probably turn OFF my car and turn on my warning lights. After I do so, the driver from the Jeep approached me to make sure the car and I were okay.

Pretty soon, 2 cop cars, 2 fire trucks, and at least 2 undercover cop cars have pulled up and we're being asked all kinds of questions. "Were you wearing your seat belt?" Yes. "How fast were you going?" I was stopped. "Were there any passengers in your vehicle?" No. "Are you the owner of your vehicle?" Yes. "Are you injured?" Well I'm not sure, as my lower back was already hurting... "Which car is yours?" The third. "Is it drivable?" Yes.

After telling the police what had happened, showing them my driver's license and insurance card and giving them my number and address, examining the car again, and being told I needed to pick up the police report that night or the next day, I was free to go home.

Bad news, our back bumper is scratched, scraped, dented, and slightly popped out (see pictures below). There is also some difficulty getting the car to recognize that it is closed, and our left brake light is out. Good news, the Jeep's insurance will be covering all the damages. Good news, everyone involved was mostly okay and was insured. The Hyundai's air bags deployed and it was the only car that had to be towed; and the only immediately noticeable injury was a cut on a passenger's hand.

Bad news, after the accident my lower back just got worse and worse. I'm now on an anti-inflammatory, a pain killer, and a muscle relaxant; I also spend all my time laying on my couch with a heating pad. On a particularly pathetic note, I'm totally leaning to one side and walking like I'm 95 (my hips are noticeably lopsided). Not to worry, the doctor thinks it's just inflammation and muscle spasming; and I have a follow up appointment after the cruise to make sure everything is fine, and to take an x-ray once the inflammation has gone down. More good news, Devin is taking very good care of me and Kairi spends most of her day cuddled up on my lap :)

More bad news, I'm not sure how this will affect my ability to fly and go on a cruise in the next week :( But, I am slowly feeling better. Best news, Devin finished his first year of Podiatry school and can now enjoy 3 weeks off! We celebrated by going to the Cheesecake Factory for dinner, and shared a piece of Reese's Peanut Buttercup Chocolate Cake Cheesecake. Mmmm...



2 comments:

  1. Oh my! That's so scary! I'm glad you were far enough up in the line of traffic that you didn't get hurt too bad. I hope your back feels better soon and you can enjoy your cruise!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least the car is mostly drivable. Glenn's co-worker got killed this week at a stop light when another car rear-ended her at 60 mph without even braking.

    ReplyDelete